Honolulu Arrival and Waikiki Beach!

This post is the 2nd post in a series of posts about our trip to Hawaii. You can start at the beginning by reading Trip to Hawaii starts out as an adventure.

After traveling through the snow, over the mountains, and down to San Francisco, we were able to catch our flight to Hawaii. We got to take a big jet, a Boeing 777, over the Pacific. Unfortunately, it was overcast and cloudy when we arrived in Oahu so I was unable to take any photos from the plane as we arrived.

Once we arrived in Honolulu, we took a taxi down to Waikiki to our hotel, the Ohana Waikiki Malia. It is a decent hotel, a bit older but nice, clean, and in good repair. We got a 1-bedroom suite that had 2 sofa/day-beds that provided 2 twin beds for the boys, which they appreciated. Our only complaints were:

  • We didn’t have Wi-Fi in the room; we were supposed to have hard-wired Ethernet but couldn’t get it to work. We didn’t pursue getting it fixed since we weren’t going to be here long and weren’t too concerned about not getting on the Internet right away.
  • The pool/hot tub closed at 9 PM and we were really disappointed our last night there because we got back to the hotel too late to relax in the hot tub before bed. We are used to the pool/hot tubs in hotels being open until 10 PM.
  • Dragon Rider felt like the covers on his day bed had something on them, something dust-like, that got on his pillow at night and caused him some allergies with his eyes. I helped him take the covers off the second night in a way that kept the dust off the day-bed, but he still had blood-shot eyes.

After arrival Tuesday afternoon, we changed into our swimsuits and headed down to the beach. It was about a 2-block walk from the hotel to the closest beach access. Later, we found that to not be the best part of the beach. But, we wanted to say that we made it to Waikiki Beach our first day! Here we are!


The Dad and Dragon Rider

Waikiki with Diamond Head

Here is the part of the beach further to the east where we spent time on Wednesday and enjoyed better.

By the time we got back to the hotel and got ready for dinner, it was late and we didn’t feel like walking a long ways to dinner. We hadn’t seen anything simple to eat on the way down to the beach, so we just ate at the IHOP that at the hotel. It wasn’t great, but at least we didn’t go to bed hungry!

Tomorrow… Pearl Harbor!

About Cindy

I am a wife to a wonderful hubby and mother of fraternal twin boys (born 6/28/1998). I enjoy family vacations/travels, my photography and acrylic painting hobbies, and anything else I feel like writing or sharing!
This entry was posted in Family, Vacation and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s